If you have a toddler at home, you know very well, they can be tricky and sometimes not the easiest models when taking pictures! I have outlined some ways to help involve your toddler in your newborn sibling photos.
Having had toddlers of my own, I know this territory very well! When I photograph newborns with toddler siblings involved there are tricks that I use to make the session go a tad bit smoother. Ultimately, we want to make it fun for them! Let’s be real, taking pictures isn’t usually on your toddler’s agenda. This means, we have to incorporate what IS on their agenda (playing games, having a snack, etc.) into the session. Here are my five tips for including siblings into newborn sessions:
- Play games – Usually playing games and getting down on their level to make taking pictures fun can help your child forget that we are even taking pictures!! If you toddler is old enough, sometimes a treat or prize at the end is also some great motivation!
- Stress free environment– When Mom & Dad are stressed, child also tends to feel that tension. This can negatively impact their mood or behavior. A stress free environment is what I aim for at every session. This is why I include hair and makeup and wardrobe options. I want the session to be as easy at possible for you. After all, you just had a baby. I know you don’t need any added tasks!
- Be silly – this can make your child feel more at ease. I am always acting silly when I have young kids in the studio. They love silly!
- Have snacks on hand– We all have been hangry before and it’s not fun! Ward that off with some of their favorite snacks.
- Meet before – Of of the many perks of doing a maternity session, is we get to know each other prior to your newborn session. Often by the time the toddler comes in for the newborn shoot, they are already comfortable and at ease with me.
During my newborn sessions, I like to keep the sibling portion sweet but short. There is absolutely no reason to keep the toddler or siblings there for a lengthy period of time. If I have a cooperative sibling, 15 minutes, tops, is all I need to get a variety of great sibling photos. Knowing how to utilize this time can become half the battle. You will often find me singing songs and playing games so they forget that we are even taking pictures!
Being both a photographer and mom, I know the importance of sibling photos. I know how much Moms & Dads LOVE these photos so it is so important for me to use all the tricks and tips for capturing that special moment of your babies together!
Here is another great article for some extra tips with including your toddler in newborn sibling photos – https://www.theclickcommunity.com/blog/6-tips-for-photographing-newborns-with-siblings/
Ashley is a Philadelphia newborn photographer with 9 plus years of experience. She specializes in newborn, maternity, baby, & family photography. Her studio located in Newtown, PA – Bucks County.
If you are looking for a newborn photographer, I would love to begin planning the perfect session for you! My sessions are built around serving each client fully by creating a stress-free and enjoyable experience. Contact me here to learn more about the experience and to reserve your session with me or email directly at AshleyBlairPhotography@gmail.com! If you would like to see more of my portfolio and learn more about me, please click here and take a look around my website